green opened after returfing when Mrs. Mitchell of Millfield opened
the green by throwing the silver jack on Saturday 7th June 1902.
The chairman, club president Mr. T. B. Lawrie said in his remarks,
that it was 23 years and two days since the first game of bowls was
played under the name of Polmont Bowling Club.
That game was played on a green in Millfield policy grounds, the use
of which was granted by Mr. Campbell, the proprietor. The club carried
on the game there for some three years, after which they resolved
to acquire a new green for themselves. In the records of the club
the green was described as lying between Miss Colston's school and
the post office they all knew the ground to which he referred, and
the established church hall had now been built on the site of the
old bowling green. It was rather coincidence also that it was on the
7th June 1878 that the club decided to form a new green, and it was
on the 7th June 1902, 25 years since, that the club had arranged to
open their newly turfed green, although they were no celebrating their
semi-jubilee, it was 25 years since they had a green of their own.
Of the original members there were only five who remained and he was
glad to see several of them present that day. A number of the old
members had left the club because they had gone to other parts of
In 1894 the club resolved to open a new green because of their growing
membership and the feeling amongst them that they were always handicapped
in their friendly and trophy matches because of the imperfect green
they had always played upon.
Everyone would admit it was a most imperfect green, they could only
play three rinks and they had all to be played the one way from east
to west. It was good enough in a way but when they had visitors from
other clubs playing friendly matches with them, these gentlemen although
they could give a good account of themselves on other greens frequently
found that they had to lower their colours to the Polmont members
because they could not play on their green. The Polmont club were
always stated to have won because of the state of their green, but
he trusted that in future years no county club would ever say that
they had beat them because they had not had a fair chance, as he had
no doubt every bowler who came to play on their present green would
find everything to his hearts content.
They decided in 1894 to form a new green, and considering the rapid
development of the parish in the vicinity of Polmont station the committee
were led to seek for ground in that district with the result that
they secured this piece of ground from Mr. Mitchell at a very reasonable
rent and on 1st May 1895, Mrs. Mitchell opened this green. Unfortunately
they were very unfortunate in they selection of a contractor they
neither got the turf or the workmanship with the result that it was
found necessary last year to consider seriously whether they should
not returf their ground. That brought them to to the ceremony of today.
After considerable inquiry the committee resolved to engage Mr. Leslie,
Glasgow, to returf the green having found that he had laid a number
of excellent greens elsewhere. They would admit today, after they
had tried and tested the green, that Mr. Leslie had given them an
It was a most fitting thing that Mrs. Mitchell of Millfield should
perform the opening ceremony, seeing that Mr. Mitchell, their honorary
president, was elected president of the club in 1886, since which
time he has shown the deepest interest in it's success. He was known
to all as a gentleman who not only took an interest in bowling but,
in every philanthropic work he was one of the first to lend a helping
hand. Mrs. Mitchell had very kindly agreed to come amongst them today
to perform the opening ceremony, and he had the greatest pleasure,
on behalf of the club in asking Mrs. Mitchell to take the silver jack,
and by throwing it up the green, to declare their green open for the
season. He had just to add that he wished Mrs. Mitchell to accept
of this silver inkstand, and silver jack which had been very kindly
presented by the contractor, Mr. Leslie, and keep them as mementos
of the occasion when she opened the green of the Polmont Bowling Club.
Mrs. Mitchell then threw the silver jack, and said "I have much pleasure
in declaring this beautiful green open, and I hope many happy games
will be played on it, and that it will be a source of great pleasure
for many years to come". Three cheers were given to Mrs. Mitchell
for performing the opening ceremony.
Mr. Mitchell of Millfield made a few remarks and said he had to thank
the members on behalf of his wife for the beautiful silver inkstand
and Mr. Leslie for the silver jack, and he could assure them she would
always look upon these handsome mementos of the days proceedings with
great delight and pleasure. He concluded by appealing to all present
to do their utmost to help on the bazaar which was to be held on the
4th and 5th July for the purpose of wiping off the debt on the green.
Mr. Brown proposed a vote of thanks to Mr. Lawrie for presiding, and
said that if the gentleman was a good a bowler as he was a speaker
he would be an acquisition to any green and certainly a tower of strength
to the Polmont green. Mr. Mitchell proposed a vote of thanks to the
ladies who had that day graced the proceedings with their presence.
An enjoyable game was then engaged in.
A group photograph of the company was afterwards taken by Mr. J. C.
Brown, Falkirk. At intervals a selection of music was discoursed by
the Shieldhill Brass Band, and tea and other refreshments were provided
in the ground to the visitors.